One Genesys Parkway
Grand Blanc, MI 48439
You and your surgeon have decided to have your surgery performed at Genesys Regional Medical Center. We hope this information will help you and your family to prepare for your surgery and recovery.
The staff at Genesys realize what a scary time this is for patients, so everything from the moment you get to the hospital, to when you leave is made as simple as possible. Genesys is committed
to taking care of the details so that you can concentrate on getting well.
Your surgery may be scheduled as either one of the following:
Important Instructions For The Night Before Surgery
- Ambulatory Surgery - which means you will come into the hospital and be discharged on the same day.
- Same Day Surgery - which means you will come in the day of your surgery and be admitted to a hospital room after your surgery.
Planning For The Day of Surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery (not even chewing gum, breath mints, candy or a sip of water). However, you may be instructed to take certain medications the morning of surgery with only a sip of water.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Do not use alcohol for 24 hours before your surgery.
- Do not smoke marijuana, use cocaine, or any other street drugs for at least 72 hours (3 days) before your surgery. These drugs can cause dangerous problems during your surgery. It is very important to notify your surgeon and anesthesiologist if you have used any drugs in the three days before your surgery.
- Take a shower or bath the night before and the morning of your surgery using Dial soap or Hexaclens.
- Follow all additional instructions given to you by your surgeon or anesthesiologist.
The Day of Surgery
- A responsible family member or other adult must come with you.
- You will not be allowed to drive yourself home after surgery.
- Children 17 years of age or younger must have a parent or legal guardian with them. We recommend two adults come with all children.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Pajamas, slippers and robes are provided by the hospital during your hospital stay.
- Dentures and contact lenses must be removed before surgery. Please bring your case if you must wear contacts.
- All jewelry must be removed (this includes any body piercings, wedding rings, etc.).
- Leave all valuables at home (this includes purses, jewelry, wallets and credit cards).
Services at Health Park
- Come to the hospital as instructed which is usually two to three hours before surgery. Your surgery is usually scheduled at a specific time. However, time changes may occur due to emergencies or cancellations.
- The family member or adult who has come with you should go with you to the surgery area.
- After you get to the surgery area, your family may stay with you until you are taken to the operating room. Then they will be directed to the waiting room.
- When your surgery is over, the doctor will go to the waiting room to talk with your family.
- After surgery, you will be taken to the Recovery Room. Most patients stay in this area for at least one hour.
- From the recovery room, Ambulatory Surgery patients are taken to PACU II Recovery (where your surgery preparation began), and later you will be discharged to go home. Same Day Admission patients are transferred from the recovery area to their hospital room. A nurse will tell your family when you are ready to leave the Recovery Room and where you will be taken.
Gift Shop - The Acorn Gift Shop is located in the Retail Space adjacent to the Atrium. Staffed by Volunteers, it is scheduled to be open seven days a week weather permitting.
Chapel - The Chapel is located on Level 1 just off the Atrium. Our staff can help you reach a Pastoral Care chaplain at any time.
Cafeteria - The staff cafeteria is located on the Garden Level. Visitors and families may prefer the eateries located in the retail area adjacent to the Atrium on the First Level of the Health Park building.
Handicapped Access - Genesys Regional Medical Center at Health Park is barrier free. If physically challenged, and you need assistance, please feel free to request the help of any staff member or volunteer.
Scheduling Surgery and Pre-Admission Testing
Your surgeon will schedule the day and time of your surgery. The Pre-Admission Testing (PAT) staff will call you by telephone. They will ask you for information about your health insurance, social security number, address, telephone number and any other information needed to help get your records ready.
You will receive a second call from a nurse to review your health history. Please have a list of allergies, medicines, previous surgeries and hospitalizations ready.
If one week prior to your scheduled surgery date you have not been contacted by our PAT staff, please call 606-5242.
Pre-Admission Testing Appointment
If you need blood tests, an EKG or an X-ray to be done before surgery, the nurse from PAT will make arrangements for the tests to be done at Genesys, your physician's office or another lab.