|Student Heart Screenings|
Genesys Heart Institute is offering free heart screenings for Grand Blanc freshman students, on April 24th and April 30th, 2014 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Genesys Heart Institute Physician Group Offices, One Genesys Parkway, Grand Blanc, MI 48439.
Every year students die from sudden cardiac arrest. These deaths can be due to abnormal heart structure or abnormal rhythms. As a free community service to help detect young people at risk for sudden cardiac arrest, a volunteer group of physicians and staff will conduct heart screenings* that will include:
• A review of the student’s health history questionnaire that will need to be completed beforehand at home
• A blood pressure check
• A physician evaluation
• An electrocardiogram (ECG) – a non-invasive test performed with the student at rest with patches placed on the surface of skin that maps the rate, rhythm and function of the heart, and prints a tracing for physician review and interpretation
• A Vscan quick-look echocardiogram – a non-invasive test that uses ultrasound to show a picture of the heart
To participate in the Genesys Student Heart Screening Program, you will need to complete the attached paperwork and return it with your child on the day of the screening. If forms are missing or incomplete, we will be unable to screen your child.
1. Completed Student Health History Questionnaire signed by both a parent and the student
2. Consent to Participate Form signed by a parent
3. Genesys Health System’s Media Authorization Form (in case there is media coverage of the event)
The data we collect may be used by researchers to add to the scientific knowledge of sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes. The data will be reported anonymously, and student privacy and confidentiality will be maintained.
Click here to register for April 24th 2014 event and Click here to register for April 30th 2014 event
For questions or more information, please call and leave a message at 1.855.GENESYS (1.855.436.3797). Your message will be responded to within the next day.
Funds for this event were made possible by the Affair of the Heart fundraiser.
*This screening attempts to identify any pre-existing conditions that could potentially increase the student‘s health risk as a result of vigorous physical activity and/or sports. The screening is not intended to be a part of or as a substitute for a more thorough examination of the student by his/her own physician in evaluating eligibility to participate in sports.