|Student Heart Screenings|
Genesys Heart Institute is offering free student heart screenings for Rochester Adams High School football players on August 2 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Rochester Adams High School, located at 3200 W. Tienken Rd., Rochester, MI 48306.
Every year students die from sudden cardiac arrest. These deaths can be due to abnormal heart structure or abnormal rhythms. As a free community service to help detect young people at risk for sudden cardiac arrest, a volunteer group of physicians and staff will conduct free student heart screenings* that will include:
• A review of the student’s health history (questionnaire must completed beforehand at home)
• Blood pressure check
• Physician evaluation
• Electrocardiogram (ECG) – a non-invasive test performed with the student at rest with patches placed on the surface of skin that maps the rate, rhythm and function of the heart, and prints a tracing for physician review and interpretation
• Vscan quick-look echocardiogram – a non-invasive test that uses ultrasound to show a picture of the heart
To participate in the Genesys Student Heart Screening Program, each student must print out and complete three (3) forms. The student must bring the three completed forms with them on the day of the screening. If any of the forms are missing or incomplete, we will not be able to screen the student.
Click on the three links below to open and print the forms. The forms will also be available at the end of your online registration.
1. Student Health History Questionnaire (Link)
2. Consent to Participate Form (Link)
3. Media Authorization Form (in case of media coverage) (Link)
Click here to register for the August 2, 2014 event.
The data we collect may be used by researchers to add to the scientific knowledge of sudden cardiac arrest in young athletes. The data will be reported anonymously, and student privacy and confidentiality will be maintained.
For questions or more information, please call and leave a message at 1.855.GENESYS (1.855.436.3797). Your message will be responded to within the next business day.
Funds for this event were made possible by the Affair of the Heart fundraiser.
*This screening attempts to identify any pre-existing conditions that could potentially increase the student‘s health risk as a result of vigorous physical activity and/or sports. The screening is not intended to be a part of or as a substitute for a more thorough examination of the student by his/her own physician in evaluating eligibility to participate in sports.