MERC – Medical Education Research Committee
How do I submit my research to the board for review?
Applications are submitted electronically at www.IRBnet.org – Follow Directions below - (For step by step video instructions see bottom of page)Step 1 Connect to the internet –www.IRBnet.org
Step 2 - Log in – First time users – click
· “NEW USER REGISTRATION,” complete the user profile
· Accept terms of IRBnet.org
· Select "Genesys Regional Medical Center”
· Remember your password –
· Go to your email address and activate “click” the link to get going in IRBnet.org –
OR If you already have registered - just - Log in “www.IRBnet.org” using your user name and password - if you have forgot your password –click – “forgot my password” it will be sent to your email.
Step 3 - Click - CREATE NEW STUDY and fill in the information –Title of study - etc.
Step 4 - Click - STUDY DESIGNER to attach IRB-MERC forms - All IRB –MERC forms are located in Form Library drop down menu or the genesys.org website for IRB - – Choose “MERC Application form” – fill-out the application and save to your computer then - just “Browse” and “Attach” forms -Be sure to select the correct “Document Type" - i.e. "New Study"
Need to stop and come back to this process?
Step 5 - Click - SAVE – You can “Save” the forms to your computer. You may complete and edit at a later time. – When they are completed - just “Browse” and “Attach” forms -
Step 6 - Click - SHARE THIS STUDY – Select anyone who needs to have access to your research. (ie. Program Director, Co- Investigators, Dr. Kim Barber, Director of Research and Candy Rainwater, IRB Coordinator - -Note: (To “share” your research, they must be registered in IRBnet.org) – You must “share” with your Program Director or Research Faculty)
Step 7 – Click “SEND email” – Use only for a quick email or note to anyone on your research project or IRB Coordinator, - (This is optional) Note: This does not submit your research – see below – SUBMIT THIS STUDY.
**Step 8 - Mandatory –click - SIGN STUDY – Your “Electronic” signature is a legal signature
All Co-Investigators must “sign’ the study.
Once all documents are attached in their final form –your study must be signed by your Program Director or Research Faculty -
An electronic “Signature” in IRBnet.org from your Program Director/Study Faculty is required. - prior to Clicking “Submit”
**Step 9 - Mandatory–click “SUBMIT THIS STUDY” – Select “Genesys IRB in the “Search for Organization” drop menu
-Be sure all documents are attached and in final version prior to submitting.
Once “submit” is clicked, -the research cannot be edited unless you contact –
IRB Coordinator – 606-77222
Step 10 – To review what was sent - Click – Study OVERVIEW – study will be under “Pending Review” status until the
MERC votes at the next meeting. YOU MADE IT!
*An electronic IRB email will be sent to your email notifying you of the IRB decision and recommendations. A formal letter will then be sent or put in your mailbox at Genesys.
For Additional submissions: – Revisions/ Closures/or Request for Annual Continued Review –
▪ Click on "Study Manager" - Select “title” of your research –
▪ Click on Edit (top of page)
▪ Click - “New Package” –
▪ Click - "Designer"
▪ Be sure to select the correct “Document Type”
▪ “Browse and Attach” forms
▪ Electronically sign and click submit this package
NEED HELP? - Contact Candy Rainwater, Office of Research, Health Park Campus - Room 2442 - (810) 606-7722 | email@example.com.
Once your research is submitted, it will be placed on the agenda for the next meeting. MERC Meetings usually occur every month on the third Monday at 8:15 A.M. Room 3452C- Classroom - See MERC schedule
*A signature from the Director of Research is required, verifing that the research study was completed, prior to graduating from Genesys. (See check-out signature form from MEDICAL EDUCATION Dept.).
- Materials must be received one week proir to the meeting to be placed on the agenda for that month.
- It is highly recommended that you attend the meeting in order to answer any questions the committee may have and to process your application in a timely manner.
- When projects are approved, the maximum approval period is one year. An annual continued review is required, if your study continues longer than the one year approval period. When a project is closed, a closure form must be submitted via IRBnet.org with a copy of your research paper.
For step by step video instructions –
Go to: www.irbnetresources.org
Click on “RESOURCES” (Do not use the top right sign-in box)
When “resources” is clicked – a new sign-in box will appear
User name: Genesys
This will allow you to view (2) short instructional videos on
the submission process in IRBnet.org -
Click – Research 1 – 1st time users
Click - Research 2 - Updating & Revising Research