Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
Recovery through rehabilitation
Genesys Inpatient Rehabilitation Center helps our patients rebuild their lives by providing comprehensive rehabilitation services based on evidenced-based, therapeutic interventions and personalized medical rehab care. We immediately focus on helping patients resume a productive life by working to become as independent as possible. Our staff is dedicated to teaching and supporting each patient and their family every step of the way.
What is a rehabilitation program?
Under a physician’s direction, rehabilitation specialists come together to provide a treatment program specifically suited to each patient’s needs. Physicians who specialize in rehabilitation are called physiatrists. The number of services a patient receives will depend on their needs.
What to expect during rehabilitation
What you do in rehabilitation depends on your specific needs. You may work to improve your independence in many areas. This can include:
- Self-care skills such as eating, grooming, bathing, dressing and basic household activities
- Mobility skills
- Communication skills in speech and language
- Cognitive skills such as memory or problem-solving
- Monitoring / managing your medical condition, i.e., diabetes, etc.
We strongly encourage and expect family involvement during rehabilitation. In the early phases of care, the rehabilitation team develops a treatment plan with the patient and his or her family.
The Genesys Rehabilitation Team teaches the family how to assist with specific therapeutic activities, if needed. In this ongoing process, family members develop skills to help during hospital treatment and after discharge.
Patients We Serve
Individuals who have experienced a major illness or trauma and are no longer able to be cared for by themselves or by caregivers may benefit from inpatient rehabilitation services. We serve patients with the following conditions:
Genesys Inpatient Rehabilitation Team
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic injuries
- Arthritic conditions
- Orthopedic injuries
- Neuromuscular diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's Disease
- Medically complex condition resulting in significant functional decline
The physiatrist is a physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The physiatrist leads the rehabilitation team and oversees a patient’s rehabilitation program to maximize progress. The Genesys Inpatient Rehabilitation Center physiatrists are:
- Dara Headrick, DO, Medical Director
- Carlos Padilla, MD
- J. Steven Schultz, MD
- Taha Jamil, MD
- Katherine Karo, DO
The patient’s Primary Care Physician or their designee will manage a patient’s medical needs while on the unit. Other physicians may be involved in managing the patient’s care.
Rehabilitation Care Coordinator
A Rehabilitation Care Coordinator will work with the patient, their family and community agencies to help ensure a successful return home.
Rehabilitation Nurses care for each patient 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Their roles include educating the patient and their family, managing medical needs, and teaching healthy lifestyle adjustments and techniques in preparation for independence after discharge. They will encourage independence with self-care, promote personal hygiene and assist patients with using the skills learned in therapy.
Speech-Language Pathologists (SLP) help our patients improve their communication skills, such as speaking, reading and writing. They may also address memory, problem solving and other cognitive skills as needed. Another role is to assist patients if they have difficulty swallowing.
Because we individualize each patient’s care, involvement with the rehab team members may be different for each patient. Some patients may require additional services including the Neuropsychologist, Pastoral Care, Spiritual Care, Social Worker, Registered Dietician, Prosthetist/Orthotist or Audiologist.Inpatient Rehabilitation Admission Criteria
- Patients must be medically stable, with a rehabilitation diagnosis, treatable through a rehabilitation program.
- Patients must have a demonstrated need for 24-hour a day rehabilitation nursing needs.
- Patients must demonstrate a potential to improve in a timely manner (generally weekly significant gains).
- Patients must be motivated, cooperative and willing to actively participate in rehabilitation treatment plan.
- Patient must have an appropriate plan for discharge once rehabilitation goals have been met.
- Patient must be able to tolerate 3 hours of intensive therapy services five to six days a week.
Referrals are accepted from patients, family members or any healthcare professional. Pre-admission assessments are conducted to determine a patient’s eligibility.
Rehabilitation Patient Outcomes
Types of Patients We Serve by Percentage
Specialized Clinical Services
- Stroke - 23%
- Other Debility - 19%
- Hip/Femur Fracture - 15%
- Cardiac Disorder - 7%
- Neurological - 10%
- Brain Injury - 10%
- Spinal Cord Injury - 6%
- Lower Extremity Amputation - 5%
- Trauma - 5%
In the Genesys Inpatient Rehabilitation Center, we’re dedicated to ongoing program development to improve the quality of life for our patients. The team provides treatments using new technology and devices, and we remain informed about the newest treatment concepts. Some of the unique services we provide to meet our patient’s goals include:
- Brace Clinic: provides a multidisciplinary assessment of bracing needs, and fits patients for prefabricated and custom-made braces, orthopedic shoes and other orthopedic devices.
- Transitional Living Apartment: allows patients undergoing rehabilitation to practice the skills they need for greater independence in the activities of daily living. In some cases, an overnight stay in the functional living apartment with a spouse or other caregiver is a helpful step in preparing for the return home.
- Community Reintegration: this program utilizes retail stores, restaurants, credit union, automobile, chapel and ramps located throughout the hospital to assist with community reintegration. It also provides an opportunity for patients to utilize thinking and reasoning skills as they relate to managing day-to-day functions in the community.
- Wheelchair Seating and Positioning: fits patients for wheelchairs or special seating, and provides training.
- Myofascial Release
- Pet Therapy
- 50-Foot Interactive Mural
If you have a family member or loved one who would benefit from our comprehensive rehabilitation services or you would like more information, please call:
Main Office: (810) 606-6500
Admissions Coordinator: (810) 606-6776
Fax: (810) 606-5491
Genesys Acorn Gift and Floral Shop:
The Genesys Acorn Gift and Floral Shop specializes in unique specialty gifts, jewelry, handbags, accessories, boutique clothing as well as floral arrangements, cards, candy, magazines, sundries, baby items and soft toys. A Genesys volunteer will personally deliver your gift ordered online!
About Genesys: Genesys is a regionally integrated health care delivery
system comprised of a complete continuum of care primarily servicing Genesee,
Shiawassee, Lapeer, Oakland, Livingston and Tuscola counties.
Genesys Hospital Grand Blanc Michigan proudly serves these communities
within our six county Southeast Michigan service area:
Genesee County: Burton, Clio, Davison, Fenton, Flint, Flushing, Gaines,
Goodrich, Grand Blanc, Lennon, Linden, Montrose, Mount Morris, Otisville, Otter
Lake and Swartz Creek.
Shiawassee County: Bancroft, Byron, Corunna, Durand, Laingsburg, Lennon, Morrice, New Lothrop, Owosso, Perry and Vernon.
Lapeer County: Almont, Barnes Lake, Millers Lake, Brown City, Clifford,
Columbiaville, Deerfield, Dryden, Elba, Goodland, Hadley, Imlay City, Imlay,
Lapeer, Marathon, Mayfield, Metamora, North Branch, Oregon Township, Otter Lake
North Oakland County: Auburn Hills, Clarkston, Holly, Lake Angelus, Lake Orion, Leonard, Milford, Ortonville, Oxford, Pontiac, Waterford.
Livingston County: Brighton, Howell, Pinckney and Fowlerville.
Tuscola County: Akron, Caro, Cass City, Fairgrove, Gagetown, Kingston,
Mayville, Millington, Reese, Unionville and Vassar.